Changing from i586 to athlon kernel rpm in core 1

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 18:29:51 UTC 2004

John L. Pierce asked:
> I originally installed core 1 2115.i586 on an AMD K6-2 500Mhz, which is
> an i586 arch, I have since changed the underlying motherboard to an AMD
> Athlon and I am trying to install 2188.athlon kernel rpm since I now
> have an i686 or Athlon arch.
>

> However, I keep getting this message from rpm:
>
> package kernel-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl is intended for a athlon architecture
>
> I would like to be able to change the kernel architecture but I have had
> no luck with this.
>
> I have used the --force option but to no avail.
How about the --ignorearch option?

ne commented:
> You never mentioned whether you changed the cpu as well as
> the mobo. If the cpu did not change then you have to use
> the i586 or i386 kernel.

The Athlon and K6 used completely different sockets and processor buses.
If John changed the motherboard, he would have had to change the CPU.

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "Never trust a species that grins all the time.
westexe.demon.co.uk    | It's up to something."