KVM FYI

Dwaine Castle dcastle at carolina.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 05:30:31 UTC 2004

I like the way Greg Swallow is reasoning here.  I've emailed several KVM
switch manufacturers about support for FC2, but to date I've only received 2
done is to add FC2 to their tech-support databases.  Normally, a pre-sales
tech-support question gets answered in a matter of hours.  I think that the
root cause may be that there is not a clear KVM specification.  KVMs exist
in every server room in the world, so there is a significant market for
them.  However, there are several varieties PS2, USB, & IP.  Our problem
seems to be specific to the PS2 group and the PS2 group, IMHO, consists of
home users.   The home-user market may not be able to compel manufactures to
develop a device for such a small market as FC2.  Home users are
contributing to the development of FC2, so I think that asking the Fedora
for some support is not unfair.  When I get up to speed I'll write something
I'm just not there yet.

I replaced a 2-port Linksys KVM with a 4-port Belkin years ago.  I
immediately noticed performance problems, but it worked on MS OSs.  I
purchased an Avocent switch a week ago, and as soon as the gender changers
arrive(SOB), I'll give it a try.

Dwaine