top

Fons van der Beek fons at so-o.nl
Tue Jun 22 07:50:29 UTC 2004

................(also
> > not

> > > Is it always showing 95% utilization? It has been my experience that
> > > many processes on Linux systems are very short-lived; shorter than the
> > > cycle time of top. This is especially true for any machine with a
> > > multi-gigahertz CPU.
> >
> > Pentium 4 celeron / 768 MB memory
> >
> > > When I run make on a large software package, it is obvious from its
> > > output that there are many invocations of the compiler, and the total
> > > CPU usage is quite high, but I may not see any process in top with
> > > greater than 5% CPU. They all (most all) complete between cycles of
top,
> > > therefore top will not see those processes. top takes a snapshot of
the
> > > system at the time it wakes up. Any process that exits prior to a
> > > snapshot will not be reported by top.
> >
> > I never expierenced that while making files I allways had (on Redhat 8.0
2.4
> > kernel) a good summ of
> > the cpu %  of each process
> >
> > > Perhaps you need to look at the rate of process creation: gkrellm can
do
> > > this.
> >
> > I looked at gkrellm, I guess (not complety sure if i interpret the graph
ok)
> > that i have 6 forks pro second.
> > i still cant explain why there is such a enormous difference between
> > CPU-usage overall and cpu usage
> > for the main processes, i'am checking in data and mysqld has 0% CPU
> > utilization.......
> >
> > Do you know of any other tools which show cpu usage for each process?
>
> ps can also show you cpu utilization, but my understanding is that its
> information comes from the same place top gets it. Have you tried
> turning on process accounting? That should give you more information
> about completed processes. man accton.
> --
> C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc.rr.com>

After a lot playing around with top,accton, gkrelm I have to conclude that
top isn't my
"TOP" tool anymore, after trying all varies options it turned out that i
don't see my MYSQL proces processor utilization
I really don't know what I'am doing wrong, top used to be my favorite tool
in quick optimizing systems / hd bandwith etc etc
but in the current form its pretty useless to me....