FC2 doubtful quality?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Tue Jun 22 13:14:39 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 22.06.2004 schrieb HaJo Schatz um 08:54:
> Long story, short question: Should I fall back to FC1 instead of using
> FC2? I am somewhat very concerned about the release quality of FC2.

According to my *impression*, FC2, although a little bit less mature and
less stable as FC1, is not specifically unstable or of substandard
quality. There were some big differences to the previous release, esp.
kernel 2.6 and x.org. If I remember correctly even in former Red Hat
Linux releases there was an increased instability level in a comparable
situation.

I for myself decided to stay with FC1 on my laptop which is my main
working machine and must not be compromised. I use FC2 on my desktop
where the situation is a bit less critical.

If you have some problems with FC2 on your machine, use FC1 and install
FC2 in parallel (perhaps using the same /home and other data). So you
can contribute bug reports, check the progress in stability and you may
switch, when the situtation fits to your needs.

> - Is this what we have to expect from a "community distro" in the long
> run? As with RH9 the last consumer-distro is discontinued, my logical
> conclusion would then be to leave RH behind and move on to another
> packager, say Suse?

Switching to another distro, SuSE, Mandrake or whatever, might not be
the solution you will enjoy in the long term. Each distro, although
basically beeing compiled from the same software basis, has its own
characteristics, is own weaknesses, its own strong features, ... SuSE,
for example, if they make a kernel update, they automatically delete
your current, running kernel and its configuration. If you have problems
booting the updated kernel of if you depend on additional kernel modules
(nvidia as an example) you will have a hard time.

If you enjoy the long term characteristics of Red Hat / Fedora, stay
with it, help to fix the problems (bugzilla! Even comments to existing
reports might be helpful). FC2 and its specific problems are a
*temporary* inconvenience.

Peter