Error on first boot

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 23:35:56 UTC 2004

"radioact1ve" was having trouble booting into Fedora: the kernel
couldn't resolve "LABEL=/".

> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> But I have to say that I'm writing this from... FC2. I dont know what
> happen. After I read your email that you wanted to see my fstab, i
> restarted my comp and booted into fedora and for some reason, it
> worked! Don't know what happen but I'm still going to post this in
> case there is still something wrong. I hope this isn't a one time
> thing.(that is that I won't be able to boot in again). Thank you again
> and everyone. Any suggestions as to what happen would be great.

Very odd.

(What happens when Fedora boots is that it looks for a disk with the
appropriate label. This means that it should still work if the disk
is moved or partition numbers change.)

It looks like this is acting up for you. (I believe that it's the initrd
that's responsible for translating labels to partition numbers for the
kernel).

You might find that the boot is more reliable if you ditch the labels
and go back to partition numbers in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf.

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | Five miles as the hippopotamus bounces...