2 points: dovecot & Fedora list

Marc Lucke marc at marcsnet.com
Wed Jun 23 09:06:03 UTC 2004

(1)  Dovecot:  I was very embarrassed indeed.  I read the dovecot site
to find that it did not yet properly support mbox format.  How sad for
me.  I switched back to uw-imapd & will wait until it supports mbox
fully.  So at anytime I'm happy to be corrected, but isn't mbox the
standard format in linux?  If so, & dovecot doesn't yet support mbox,
then why should it be preferred for use over uw-imapd (leaving alone the
fact that Fedora automatically knocked out my uw-imap & replaced it with
cyrus-imapd all without any say from me!)

(2)  someone answered in a previous post suggesting all sorts of
resources and mailing-lists I can subsribe to for non Fedora specific
posts.  I thank that person for the information but point out that given
fedora is made up of packages that have mailing-lists elsewhere, then
what is the fedora list actually for?  Theoretically there should be no
posts to the list at all!  Kernel problems -> kernel, dovecot issues ->
dovecot etc.  The next point is this:  I didn't chose to move from
uw-imapd.  I was quite happy with it.  Installing FC2 made that choice
for me.  Is it therefore not relevant to point out any flaws about
dovecot or ask questions to the fedora list?