FC2: notebook network card 3c574 not activated

Joerg Otte joerg.otte at web.de
Wed Jun 23 19:52:02 UTC 2004

I have a notebook (Siemens Scenic 510 AGP) with a 3c574_cs pcmcia
network adapter.

I choosed to install the notebook from a "nfs-server" and selected the
"nfs-method" from the installation menu. After selecting this method the
LED on the network cable adapter was switched on and (as far as I can
see) the installation via network worked very well.

But now on startup the network card gets not activated, the LED on the
cable adapter is not switched on and I have no network access.

During installation I can see (via alt-F3/F4) that the following modules
are loaded:
pcmcia_core
yenta_socket
ds
3c574_cs

On normal startup only the following modules are loaded:
pcmcia_core
ds
3c574_cs

When I manually try "service network restart" it says that there is no
eth0 available.
When I manually try "service pcmcia start" it says that there is no
socket (maybe it is missing the yenta_socket).

For me it looks like the yenta_socket is missing. I tried to manually
"insmod" this module but it could not find it.

In modules-alias,modules.pcimap, ...  there are tons of yenta_socket
statements. But I am ages away from being able to interpret this.

Any ideas how activate the network card ?

Joerg