No Sound - FC2 - On board Abit-KV7

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Thu Jun 24 14:03:20 UTC 2004

On Thursday 24 June 2004 14:29, NiceBloke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just purchased a new motherboard and other hardware, so I thought
> it's about time I upgraded to FC2 (doing a clean install). Everything
> has gone as well as I'd expect - except that I haven't got any sound
>
> :(
>
> system-config-soundcard tells me the following audio device was detected:
>
> Vendor: VIA Technologies
> Modle: VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
> Module: snd-via82xx
>
> If I try and play the test sound I get nothing through my speakers or
> headphones (yep I did plug them back in - first thing I checked).

cat /proc/asound/cards and make sure that is happy.

The best thing to run is alsamixer.  If you don't have it, install this

http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/alsa-utils-1.0.3-2.i386.rpm

M mutes/unmutes, arrow up and down changes level, arrow right and left moves
between channels.

> The only thing that I can see in dmesg that looks odd is:
> irq 12: nobody cared! (screaming interrupt?)
> Stack pointer is garbage, not printing trace
> handlers:
> [<02229291>] (i8042_interrupt+0x0/0xf5)
> Disabling IRQ #12
> serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> irq 12: nobody cared! (screaming interrupt?)
> Stack pointer is garbage, not printing trace
> handlers:
> [<02229291>] (i8042_interrupt+0x0/0xf5)
> Disabling IRQ #12
> irq 12: nobody cared! (screaming interrupt?)
> Stack pointer is garbage, not printing trace
> handlers:
> [<02229291>] (i8042_interrupt+0x0/0xf5)
> Disabling IRQ #12

Doesn't look good.  I guess you can fiddle with the onboard peripheral / IRQ
mappings in the BIOS if you have that option, maybe try a kernel commandline
param like acpi=noirq

> via82xx: Assuming DXS channels with 48k fixed sample rate.
>          Please try dxs_support=1 or dxs_support=4 option
>          and report if it works on your machine.

This might be worth fiddling with, using option in /etc/modprobe.conf maybe.

- -Andy

- --
Automatic actions for USB cameras, cardreaders, memory sticks, MP3 players
http://warmcat.com/usbautocam