Error on first boot

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 25 03:16:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 12:45:38AM -0400, radioact1ve wrote:
> So instead of having
> ________
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> have it as :
> /dev/hda3                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1

Since this is no longer broken we may never know.

I was going to suggest that the output of various commands be passed
to "cat --show-nonprinting" or "od -cx".  Or perhaps run "script" and
capture the interactive session character by character for review.

My thought was that there was something invisible going on when
things looked correct on the surface.

This may also have been quietly fixed by one of the tools used for
inspection.  Parsers convert white space, mouse cut and paste will
remove tabs and to finish there is always the last end of line
character at the end of the file added by many editors.  Other tools
will tidy up hard and soft links....

Makefile authors quickly learn to use ":set list" in vi and other
tricks so they can see and check the important tab/space differences.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l