RH9 Upgrade to Fedora

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 25 04:10:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:28:38PM -0500, rayzor at rf3labs.com wrote:

> Are there any issues upgrading RH9 to Fedora? Will it retain current system
> configurations and leave everything intact?

The upgrade to FC2 is a major upgrade.

Thanks to 'rpm' most things will upgrade just fine and others will
require attention.

In fact the upgrade leaves some things intact and this is a
problem.

The change from XFree86 to xorg suffers from exactly this problem. The
upgrade keeps XF86Config and uses it.  It might be cleaner to ignore
it and force an new xorg.conf file to be built.

The kernel change impact is more subtle.  The most obvious is the nvidia
driver and 4K stacks.  Another is the growth of the kernel and the
impact on floppy only boot folks (it no longer fits).

I doubt that upgrading to FC1 then FC2 from RH9 would be cleaner than
just upgrading to FC2.

If you update to FC2 I would recommend that you very quickly fix
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to be the default.  Then run up2date and
update the system.  With the system updated a number of minor
configuration issues will be simpler (bugs have been fixed).

After any rpm installed Linux upgrade run "up2date --show-orphans".
This can give you a list of packages that are gone and or have changed
names (RTFM).

Next I like to run /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron by hand so you can "locate"
all the .rpmnew and .rpmsave config files.

    locate rpmsave
    locate rpmnew

These files are important because this is how rpm packagers attempt to
help a system admin generate stable package  configurations yet leave
enough hints to get things correct and back to where they were.

I am happy with both FC1 and FC2.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l