Setting up relaying in Sendmail

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 16:13:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 11:05, Mark Haney wrote:
> I am trying to get sendmail setup to sendmail (obviously), but I can't get
> it to send any mail, it says 'relaying denied'.  I was looking on the
> sendmail website for FAQ's on this and all I got was a file named
> relay-domains, but I can't find that file.  Is that a file that I can
> manually create?  Or is there another way to specify what domains and IP
> addresses can relay mail through it?

If you want other systems to be able to send email through your sever
using sendmail then you need to configure the access file located in the
/etc/mail directory.

This will will contain a list of IPs or systems that look something
like:

localhost.localdomain		RELAY
localhost			RELAY
127.0.0.1 			RELAY
192.168.1			RELAY

I believe the first three lines in the example are the default.  The
last line is an example of what you might add so machines on your
internal LAN can relay email through the server.  This line can be
specific for each machine or in this example it covers the entire
subnet.

Once you have made the changes you can do a make in the /etc/mail
directory.  This will generate the access.db file from the access file.
At this point you should restart sendmail and test.  (service sendmail
restart).

That should get you in business.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

dynamic software linking table corrupted