4G/4G on 1024MB box?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:20:13 UTC 2004

Steve Bergman wrote:
> I notice that the standard kernel now contains the 4G/4G patch and it is
> enabled by default.  I have an FC2 server with 1GB ram.  Isn't 4G/4G a
> terrible choice for a 1GB machine?  Or am I missing something?  I
> thought there was ~20% performance penalty or something.

Actually, since the kernel is doing a context switch to access memory,
everyone is getting the penalty, even if you have less than 900mb ram IIRC.

For your setup, unless you're running a huge oracle or db2 database,
2g/2g might be a good option for you.

But, you might just want to stick with 4g/4g unless you have some
performance problems.

Mike