localhost hostname problem

James Lawrence linuxjim at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jun 27 00:06:32 UTC 2004

Paul wrote:

>I'm having a devil of a time: running FC2 through eth0 RCA modem on
>comcast.net.  That connection did something, now instead of being
>localhost at login, I'm x1-6-04-4f-00 or something like that, which
>happens to be the hw addy of the eth0.  How do I change this, or at
>least nickname it, to get back to localhost?  I'm a newbie wanting to
>learn! :)  Thanks.

>Never forget another important date again
>http://AllReminders.net

paul,
you could try this.... redhat--->System Settings--->Networking
login as root  click  DNS tab look at "Host Name" _________________
(mine says "My_World")  there you can change the name . if your PC is
the only one hooked up, then it shouldn't be a problem. i had to reboot
afterwards so you'll probably have to as well.
Good luck and let me know if this helped.
jim