FC1 -> FC2: very slow xDSL connection...

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sun Jun 27 02:04:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 06:34, Andy Green wrote:

> The IPv6 thing that I have seen is that DNS lookups can favour IPv6 even when
> there is no ability to route IPv6 "out the door".  You can kill IPv6 (which
> is completely useless assuming you do not use it on your intranet and cannot
> send it out on the Internet), by adding
>
> install ipv6 /bin/true
>
> to /etc/modprobe.conf.
>
> These kind of problems, and another stupid problem I once had of setting my
> private DNS cache IP in /etc/resolv.conf and then taking the machine back to
> my friend to use on the Internet, show up really clearly if you shine tcpdump
> on the traffic :-)

You are right.. Just look at these tcpdump rates. (crtl-C after 5 secs)

with Hostname resolving, a 5 sec capture will only capture 3 packets.

1 packets captured
1922 packets received by filter
1798 packets dropped by kernel

W/o  Hostname resolving, this turns out to be like 100+ packets.

245 packets captured
249 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

Just Look at the Dropped Packets!!

I've not tried rebooting with that line yet.. But I expect good news