2.6.6-1.435: kswapd clears out cache?

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 28 13:10:31 UTC 2004

On Jun 28, 2004 at 07:56, Philip Molter in a soothing rage wrote:

>I have a box I recently updated to kernel 2.6.6-1.435 from 2.6.5-1.358.
>  This box has no swap and 4GB of memory.  Normally, when it runs, about
>2.5GB of that memory is consumed by file cache.  This is the desired
>behavior.  After upgrading to 2.6.6-1.435, at least once every five
>minutes, kswapd runs and completely wipes out the file cache.  It's not
>caching other information, it's just completely clearing it out so the
>box has about 2.5GB of memory free.  This isn't desired, because then
>all the stuff that was cached needs to be re-cached, pegging I/O on the
>box and killing performance of our application.
>
>Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is there something I can do to stop
>it?
You'll need to compare the differences in the changlogs to
see if anything in there affects you. You may all need to
check the kernel.org changelogs as well. It seems like you
will need to backout the change that affects you and
recompile the kernel. Alternatively, you can port the
security fixes in 2.6.6-1.435 to 2.6.5-1.358 and recompile
that. Hopefully, that should solve your problem.

N.Emile...
ROMEO:		Courage, man; the hurt cannot be much.
MERCUTIO:	No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide
			as a church-door; but 'tis enough, 'twill serve.
 09:07:21  up  3:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00