[akonstam: Re: Installing modem on FC2]

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Jun 28 15:09:50 UTC 2004

> Aaron,
> His question was actually on errors in compiling of the driver, not on
> configuring the modem.
>
> FYI, Modem config is NOT handled by the ppp software exclusively.
> Drivers are needed, as well as other software to use those drivers.  The
> ppp software handles /activating/ the modem and using it.
>
> Just because you view an attempt to get something working as a lost
> cause does not justify telling somebody it can't be done.  At least give
> Marcelo credit for trying and please answer the question that was asked
> instead of spreading FUD and trying to make yourself feel superior.
>

> Marcelo,
> Please go to http://www.linmodems.org and check out their mailing list.
> They are very active and likely have the answer for you, both in
> compiling and in getting your modem to work.

I am willing to learn. I don't know what drivers you are talking
about. I have an external Zoom modem. My expectation was that if any
configuration would be done it would be done by kudzu. At first kudzu
ignored the modem . The suddenly it said it found the modem and would
I want to configure it, Well I thought I had reached nirvana so I said
configure it. The next time I rebooted and twice after that at random
times it asks me if I want to remove the modem configuration. I say
no. However at no time in this process did the modem not work.
That is before it was configured by kudzu it worked and after it was
configured it worked. So exactly what drivers do I need to configure in
the kernel?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University