ACPI fan control for laptop

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Tue Jun 29 20:10:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 17:41, Bill Johnson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I recently posted a question about my hard drive clicking and received
> some help. Thanks to all who replied.  I believe my problem may be caused
> by my laptop running hotter with Fedora Core 1 than it does with Windows
> XP.  I notice that the fan very seldom runs under FC1, but runs more
> frequently under windows.
>
> Is there a way to adjust this?  Is this an ACPI issue?  Can anybody point
> me to some help on controlling the fan under Fedora Core 1?

With Core 1 you must edit your grub.conf file and add "acpi=on" to the
line that loads the kernel. By default ACPI is disabled under core.

The line should look something like this:

"kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2194.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
rhgb"

you should change it to look something like this:
"kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2194.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
rhgb acpi=on"

You should also disable apmd and make sure that acpid is running.