Kernel 2.6.7 and NVIDIA

Kevin Johnson kjohnson at secureideas.net
Wed Jun 30 21:55:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 09:37, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 12:34:54AM -0300, Mike Clow wrote:
> > I know this has prob been asked a thousand times before but....
> > I have recently downloaded the source for kernel 2.6.7 and recompiled with
> > 8K stacks instead of 4.  Nvidia Driver still freezes machine on boot.  I am
> > thinking I missed changing something in the kernel config.  I ran make
> > oldconfig to generate a .config file (based on kernel 2.6.6-1.435) in my
> > linux-2.6.7 dir, than ran make xconfig changed my CPU to Athlon, made sure
> > I was using 8K stacks and left the rest defaulted to my .config
> > file......Booted new kernel, Installed the Nvidia Drivers, made changes to
> > xorg.conf.  System freezes on boot.  Did I miss changing something in the
> > kernel config?? Any suggestions??
> >
> t is hard to say without knowing more. You did install the NVIDIA in a
> terminal at init level 3? You changed the video driver from nv to
> nvidia and commented out the LOAD dri line in xorg.conf.
> --
> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> Trinity University
> One Trinity Place.
> San Antonio, TX 78212-7200
>
> telephone: (210)-999-7484
> email:akonstam at trinity.edu

Anyone noticed that Nvidia has released a new version of the driver for
Linux with support for 4k Stacks.....?

Version: 1.0-6106
Operating System: Linux IA32
Release Date: June 30, 2004

Release Highlights

      * Added support for GeForce 6800 series of GPUs
      * Added support for PCI-Express
      * Added support for GLSL (OpenGL Shading Language).
      * Added support for GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object.
      * Fixed problem that prevented 32-bit kernel driver from running
        on certain AMD64 CPUs.
      * Added support for ACPI
      *  Added support for 4kstack kernels.
      *  Added configuration utility "nvidia-settings".  For details,
        see the user guide
      * Added a shell script "nvidia-bug-report.sh" that gathers system
        configuration information into a log file; the resulting log
        file (nvidia-bug-report.log) should be included when reporting
        bugs to NVIDIA.
      *  Added a new Xv adaptor on GeForce4 and GeForce FX which uses
        the 3D engine to do Xv PutImage requests.
      * View the README (Text Version) for more information on this
        release.