Fedora Core 2 and audio

Steve Cooke stephen.cooke at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
Wed Jun 30 22:51:55 UTC 2004

Gordon Keehn wrote:
> Steve Cooke wrote:
>
>> Florin Andrei wrote:
>>
>> (Among other things ...)
>>
>> The third reason for me not filing a bug report is that I really do
>> not believe it *that* important that sound works right out of the box.
>

> Hey, guys
>    If Linux is a private game for geeks with horn-rimmed glasses, shaggy
> beards, and hair on their palms, then that is an acceptable answer, but
> if Linux is EVER to be accepted popularly, that is the wrong way to go.
> Especially with a sound chip that is found on a significant percentage
> of the older boxes that Linux gets installed on.
>    Regardless of Windows' many faults and flaws, M'squat insures by
> bribery, intimidation, or whatever, that common hardware DOES work
> "right out of the box".  While I'm a newbie with Linux I do consider
> myself reasonably competent.  If, after scanning this forum, and the
> FAQs, and Google, I still can't get my sound card to work (or my USB Zip
> drive, but that's another issue), then it's time to hang it up.  I have
> a day job, a wife, and a few other things that take precedence over
> trying to force Linux to recognise a legacy sound chip.

I think you misunderstood my points, and you have also misrepresented
what I said. Taken out of context, as you have chosen to do, it *does*
look bad. What I said (among other things) is:

'The third reason for me not filing a bug report is that I really do not
believe it *that* important that sound works right out of the box. I
don't know - is there a mini howto on this matter? Maybe that would be a
better way to go, rather than hassling guys who are probably already
flat out dealing with much more pressing issues than some ignoramus (me)
complaining that the sound does not work. The fact that everything else
worked first time is something that should be mentioned however - the
guys involved with Fedora Core 2 distro have obviously gone out of their
way to make it an almost no-brainer to install Linux.'

I would prefer you not take what I have said out of context in order to
make a point.

Secondly, my *main* point was that I do not know whether there was a
problem with the Fedora distribution, or whether it was my
ignorance/ineptitude, that caused the audio to 'not work.' Given that I
am not in the position to try to replicate the problem, I will err on
the side of caution and not file a defect report. That is, I am prepared
to say that it was probably my fault rether than the Fedora distribution.

Steve Cooke.