Up2date Channels Right?

David Cartwright Dcart44 at bellatlantic.net
Mon May 3 09:37:06 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Mo, den 03.05.2004 schrieb David Cartwright um 03:52:
>

>>Above pages read and followed I think? Results puzzling.
>>Ran Up2Date from icon using this setup...
>>
>>yum channel ibiblio-fedora-core-1 from
>>http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/
>>yum channel ibiblio-updates-released from
>>http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/
>>
>>and got response /everything up-to-date./
>>
>>Ran yum from terminal with following setup......
>>
>>name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
>>baseurl=http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
>>name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
>>baseurl=http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>>
>>and got several hundred file returns. Why the diff responses and is my
>>yum setup giving me file returns I shouldn't be getting?
>>

>Just a guess, but if your up2date source file yum entries look exactly
>how you pasted it in your mail, then it must fail. Yum is certainly
>giving you the proper information about updates available.

What I pasted above is feedback from Up2date process. I cut and pasted
to the sources file your article lines exactly as written in your
article - no changes. I used above lines to explain what I had done
because I could not open and paste info from sources file while not in
root....my mail was in a user folder.

>>Thanks for help
>>David
>>

>See in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources the comment:
>
>### an yum style repo
>### format:
>### type  channel-label     url
>
>You see that "channel ibiblio-fedora-core-1 from" is a 3 word naming,
>while the channel-label has to be a single word. If you would run
>up2date in CLI mode you would see
>
>$ up2date-nox -u
>Error parsing /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
>at line: yum channel from chemnitz-fedora-core-1 http://....
>
>and up2date failing. So correct your sources file for up2date. [ Please
>keep in mind too, that the ibiblio.org mirror server I took in my
>article is just an example. There might be a better fitting mirror for
>your location. ]
>
>Alexander

Is there a way to limit number of files returned for updating by
yum....I would like to handle updating for no more than 10-15 at one
time so I feel in control. BTW, I replaced yum conf file with the large
one referenced in on-line article. Ran yum check-update and got numerous
files listed; did nothing else because not sure what will happen if I
try to yum update with all those files supposedly destined for the
update queue??? Up2Date still returns zero files and says everything
up-to-date.

Regards,
David