Old farts and new Linux

B.J. McClure bjmcclure at bellsouth.net
Mon May 3 17:04:32 UTC 2004

> Around 03:44pm on Monday, May 03, 2004 (UK time), duncan brown
> scrawled:
>
> > and i don't mean to insult you in anyway, but... i wonder who's the
> oldest
> > computer literate linux user out there?  i sort of have the
> mentality of
> > the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust anyone over 30 =] ...
> it's
> > hard for me to believe that someone over 30 uses linux personally,
> once
> > you're over 30 you have to start thinking more like a manager =]...
> then
> > again, i'm almost over that line, but i don't feel like i'm that
> close =]
>
> Well I'm 43 and have 5 PCs/Servers in my study running Gnu/Linux.  I
> started as a trainee programmer on a Honeywell maiunframe in '79.
>
> And I know there are plenty older and more skilled than me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve

Just had to respond to this one.  First post at that.  I qualify as an
"old fart" and not the slightest bit offended.  I'm 68, have four boxes
up, including a laptop, with various flavors of mdk 10 and FC 1.  Most
dual boot to w2k.  Would be total linux if I could get Quicken to work
in wine but that's another issue.  Love linux and will never go back to
windows except as absolutely necessary.  I'm certainly no expert but
learning fast.

Btw, I am most impressed with the time and quality of support furnished
by members of this list and others.  When will the world learn that
cooperation is the answer?

Rock on Linux, and old farts too.

Cheers,bj