problems connecting to server with D-Link WiFi card

Elton Woo lten_47 at linuxmail.org
Mon May 3 17:48:48 UTC 2004

I am using kernel 2.4 and successfully installed, and complied the drivers from
http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/

The card is a D-Link Model DWL-122 USB wireless card (Please see:)
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175

"Naturally", I can connect to the server (my neighbour's box, running Windows XP professional, with little or no trouble  ... when booted to my Windows XP partition. However, with linux, I can now "see" the card, and even the server, using this utility: KWiFiManager
http://kwifimanager.sourceforge.net/

In spite of this, I still do not seem to connect.(I test this by loading mozilla and trying to get to *any* web page. I HAVE scanned this newsgroup for previous discussions on "wireless" cards, but have not found anything that can help put the finger on this problem.

I wonder if anyone here has had any success with this card and linux?
The links from wlan.com show that that this card (supposedly) works with linux.

Any pointers, recommendations, or other links would be appreciated!
For the moment (at least) I must content myself with booting to Windows in order to get internet access. :-(  ... even though 2/3 of my hard disk is dedicated to linux!!!

TIA,

Elton Woo ;-)