Old farts and new Linux

Ron Goulard foz at techville.org
Mon May 3 20:28:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 15:58, Charles Curley wrote:

> A bunch of tadpoles on this thread. IBM 360s, PDP-11s, all new
> stuff. _I_ worked on the world's first silicon based computers, in a
> project on what is now called Salisbury Plain, England, about 5,000
> years ago.
>
> So there.

And here I thought that at 36, I was an 'old fart' when it came to
playing with computers. By the sounds of it, I'm still wet behind the
ears :)

I've been doing this since my first computer, a TRS-80 model III
(cassette tapes for storage, 48k of ram (that was the upgrade) and
hexeditors were my favorite toys).  I was shown linux for the first time
by a friend of mine the same day I passed my last mcse exam.   I've long
since let the mcse lapse and haven't used anything other than linux in
years for both desktops and servers.

Ron