new FC1 install problems -- OLD Codger stories

Karen Spearel kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon May 3 21:41:49 UTC 2004

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 01:27:23PM -0400, Karen Spearel wrote:
>

>>A proper lady never reveals her age, but I did have an analog computer
>>to play with in 1960...remember when Dr. Dobbs was a newsletter and was
>>a charter subscriber to Byte.  Back in the good olde days, if you
>>couldn't handle the business end of a wirewrap gun, it didn't happen.
>

> Was it the "Calculo Analog Computer Kit" .... Library of Science
> My manual is copyright 1959.
>
> Does anyone know where there is a  manual for the "Brainiac K-30" on
> the net?
>
> Then there my KIM-1.... lost to a rampage of house cleaning 15
> years ago.

No, I was actually made by General Electric...I'm a bit of a pack rat
but it was jettisoned a very long time ago.  The Altair and the SWTPs
went on the last move along with all the Flex and OS9 stuff and the
serial terminals...the garage was looking like a museum.

Ahhh, the KIM-1...now there was a fun little machine...I still have a
fondness for computers with real I/O...7 segment LEDs and a keypad. ;)
I sorta snicker at the 4k stack problem...remembering the fixed 128 byte
stack pointer on the 6502...which didn't seem much of a limitation at
the time.

KAS