new FC1 install problems -- OLD Codger stories

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 3 22:20:42 UTC 2004

On Monday 03 May 2004 17:41, Karen Spearel wrote:
>Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:
>> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 01:27:23PM -0400, Karen Spearel wrote:
>>>A proper lady never reveals her age, but I did have an analog
>>> computer to play with in 1960...remember when Dr. Dobbs was a
>>> newsletter and was a charter subscriber to Byte.  Back in the
>>> good olde days, if you couldn't handle the business end of a
>>> wirewrap gun, it didn't happen.
>>
>> Was it the "Calculo Analog Computer Kit" .... Library of Science
>> My manual is copyright 1959.
>>
>> Does anyone know where there is a  manual for the "Brainiac K-30"
>> on the net?
>>
>> Then there my KIM-1.... lost to a rampage of house cleaning 15
>> years ago.
>
>No, I was actually made by General Electric...I'm a bit of a pack
> rat but it was jettisoned a very long time ago.  The Altair and the
> SWTPs went on the last move along with all the Flex and OS9 stuff
> and the serial terminals...the garage was looking like a museum.
>
>Ahhh, the KIM-1...now there was a fun little machine...I still have
> a fondness for computers with real I/O...7 segment LEDs and a
> keypad. ;) I sorta snicker at the 4k stack problem...remembering
> the fixed 128 byte stack pointer on the 6502...which didn't seem
> much of a limitation at the time.

And that was one of the reasons I called the 6502 a drain bamaged cpu.

Now, while I'm here, let me change the subject.  I've been unable to
download more than about the first 123k of
openssl096b-0.9.6-18.i386.rpm from the updates site here in the us
that yum uses.  I've also tried it with mozilla-1.7rc1, which also
hangs at about that same point.

I've got several things that won't run because they cannot
find /usr/lib/libssl.so.2 from that package.

Do I have a problem, or is the file itself defective on that
fedora-redhat.com site?  In which case where else might I look for
it?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)