Fedora desktop experience: Great, but not quite all I need

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Tue May 4 23:21:33 UTC 2004

Just wanted to share a quick review on my attempt to replace Windows on my
desktop at home.

Below are the things I do with the computer and how well they translated
to Fedora:

1) Email.  I had some problems getting Evolution 1.4 to talk nicely with
my RH 9 email server via imaps and smtp-auth over tls.  I'm still working
through that, but I got email working by allowing relay from the desktop
box.  My wife is getting used to the interface, but it's no big deal for
her, so that's a plus.

2) Digital Camera.  My wife has two digital cameras:
 - Kodak DX 3500.  gtkam worked just fine, saw the camera and I could see
all of the pics.  The software's not as easy to use as the windows
software that came with the camera, but I think I can get Kim to use it.

 - Olympus C-750 UltraZoom.  I couldn't get gtkam to initialize the
camera, no matter what camera I selected.  The autoselect kept finding it
as a C-2040Z, which would have been fine if it could have initialized the
camera.  I suppose I'd have to use one of those card readers, but I don't
know if any of them read Olympus xD cards.  This one's a deal-killer for
my wife.  I'll have to dual boot if I can't get this one working.

3) Office suite.  We've been using Open Office at home for about a year
now on Windows, so the switch to Fedora was a no-brainer.

4) Games.  My wife loves tux racer. :)  She wishes we could get frogger,
but tux racer is okay with her. I haven't tried installing Neverwinter
Nights on Fedora yet, but I hear that it works just fine, so games
shouldn't be a problem.

5) Video.  I couldn't even get my video off of my Canon Optura 20
camcorder and onto the computer with dvgrab.  I've left a message on
the dvgrab message board and haven't heard back these last few days.
I found a couple of messages in archives that hint that ieee1394 isn't
working properly yet in linux, so that may be why I had the problems.
I could control the camera, but just not capture the video over the
firewire port.  Go figure.  I may try again when I get the new motherboard
installed.  I don't think it's the board, though, since this works
flawlessly in Win2K.

I found a couple of video editing applications that look like they might
be pretty cool, though I don't know if they'll replace DVDLab.  However,
since I can't even get my video, there's no way to tell.  This one's a
deal-killer for me, as that's one of the major reasons I've upgraded my
PC, so that I could do home video.

Bottom line:  Fedora is almost there for my personal needs.  Great look,
good experience, but not all of the apps I need are working yet.  For now,
I may have to look at purchasing XP to take advantage of the SATA ports
on the new motherboard.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Ben