Users, groups and directory access

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Wed May 5 05:40:01 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 06:52:39AM +0200, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
>
>>Stil, as long as proj is not the primary group of john, he is not able
>>to create directories or files. As soon as john makes his primary group
>>proj, it works.
>

> Sounds like John just needs to log out and back in again. There's little
> effective difference between primary and supplementary groups.

It still doesn't work. However, I checked the group membership of john
after applying "gpasswd -a john proj" and -- even after exit and
creating a new terminal -- the command "groups" does not show proj. It
only shows john as group, while f.i. root has a whole bunch of groups.

Is gpasswd the wrong utility here?

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,