Hang During Install

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Wed May 5 12:53:30 UTC 2004

Alexander J. Oss said:
> I'm trying to install Fedora Core 1 on an old 200 MHz Pentium (or PII?).
>  I get as far as installation of packages, and it just hangs in the
> middle of the installation.  I've tried this three or four times;
> sometimes it gets as far as disc 2, but usually it's still on disc 1.
>
> Any ideas what might hang the install?  The mouse cursor still moves,
> although I don't recall if the hourglass is rotating or not.
>
> Thanks!

sadly, it may be hardware issues on a box that old.  i recommend booting
wiht the first disc, and press F2 at the fedora boot option screen.
you'll see an option to run memtest86, go for that and let it run
overnight.  come back and see if it found any memory issues.

if you have a broadband connection, try an ftp or http install (on fc boot
screen, type 'linux askmethod') i've had media pass that was scratched or
faulty, so try installing over the net.

-d

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
+(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991