OT: New low for Microsoft!

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Wed May 5 14:53:42 UTC 2004

Preston Crawford said:

> I think you missed my point. What I'm saying is that with that kind of
> horsepower the machine better have some kind of Artificial Intelligence
> and be doing the above functions (which, yes, I can do also on my
> machine and have been able to do since the days of my 33mhz Macintosh,
> my first computer) without my intervention. Except by voice recognition
> in which case I'm not talking about Dragon Dictate but rather me telling
> the computer "yo, go balance my checkbook based on what I've bought
> recently with these receipts. Scan them, then balance the checkbook.
> Make me a pot of coffee too and I'll come back later and we'll chat
> about Survivor." That's what I'm talking about. That's what the machine
> better be doing with that kind of horsepower.

maybe your point missed ME! =]

and we're both talking about different sides of the same anti-bloatware
coin.  people have been able to do everything they need to do on computers
for decades now, and they're not really doing anything NEW with their
computers, either.  i think the marketing people are what is pushing these
specs, not engineers.  i also think that microsoft and intel/amd are way
too cozy in bed which lends them to influence each other.

personally, i have my eye on that via mini-itx mb with a screaming
PASSIVELY COOLED 800mhz proc.  it'll be more than i need for a long time,
and in a very tiny box.  =]

this is ot for the ot thread, but what kind of success does anyone have to
report on this arch?

-d

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
+(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991