Tackling a shared USB printer (linux -> WXP)

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Wed May 5 15:01:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 09:16, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:17:56AM -0400, Bob Chiodini wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 07:13, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > > To people seeing this problem (needing to define a raw print queue for
> > > Windows printing to a Linux-hosted queue to work), do you have
> > > 'printing = cups' in /etc/samba/smb.conf?  Does putting it there
> > > help?
> > >
> > > I'm starting to wonder if samba is missing a
> > > 'cupsAddOption("raw",[...])'.  Raw printing should work with this
> > > (equivalent to 'lpr -oraw ...') even with octet-stream commented out
> > > in mime.convs.
> > >
> > > This is how gimp-print manages to print raw data to a non-raw queue
> > > for instance.
> > >
> > > Tim.
> >
> > Tim,
> >
> > Yes, I have printing = cups in smb.conf, and yes, I still have to
> > uncomment the octet-stream line in mime.convs.
>
> How about if you add 'cups options = raw' to smb.conf?
>
> Tim.
> */

Tim,

I ran a couple of tests with different windows drivers and with and
without cups options = raw.  First a disclaimer, the printer I used for
the test is not directly connected to my linux box.  It is a remote lpd
server, sending the print jobs via jetdirect to an HP Laserjet 8150.  I
do not have any locally connected printers.  If you think it will make a
difference, I can rerun the tests at home.

In all tests printing = cups was specified in smb.conf.

Test 1
Windows:  	HP8100 PS Driver
Cups:  		mime.* commented out
Samba:  	no cups options
Result:  	raw PS printed (i.e. PS commands)

Test 2
Windows:  	HP8100 PCL Driver
Cups:  		mime.* commented out
Samba:  	no cups options
Result:  	Windows test page printed correctly

Test 3
Windows:  	HP8100 PS Driver
Cups:  		mime.* commented out
Samba:  	cups options = raw
Result:  	Windows test page printed correctly

Test 4
Windows:  	HP8100 PCL Driver
Cups:  		mime.* commented out
Samba:  	cups options = raw
Result:  	Windows test page printed correctly

Testing with the uncommented mime.* octet-stream options seems
unnecessary at this point.  The "cups options = raw" samba options seems
to take care of.  From the docs I read earlier this morning, I would
have expected that to be the default when specifying "printing = cups".

>From my perspective:  Using "cups options = raw" seems to abate
modifying the mime.* files, and is a better solution since I don't
believe the smb.conf file gets overwritten each time samba is updated.

BTW:  The above testing on RH9 produces no output for test 1 and works
correctly for test 2.  The "cups options" parm is not available in RH9's
samba.  I must uncomment the mime.* octet-stream lines for RH9 to print
PS from windows, but not PCL.  I would have expected the opposite.

Bob...