New low for Microsoft

Scott B. DeVries DrFizzix at mash4077.biz
Wed May 5 16:50:09 UTC 2004

The current alpha version of Windows Longhorn that is being released
this week the Microsoft hardware conference is their home / workstation
(client-side) solution.  According to articles on www.microsoft-
watch.com, the "recommended" requirements are in the neighborhood of a
4 GHz CPU with 2 GB of RAM and a 256 MB graphics card, which is one of
the main reasons that it'll be 2006 at least before this is released.

There will also be a server version of Longhorn, which is slated for
2007 or 2008 last I heard (similar to Windows XP followed by Win Server
2003).  If those hardware requirements are accurate, then God only
knows what kind of a supercomputer you'll need to run the server
version.

Perhaps this will get budget-constrained Windows network admins to
start looking to non-Windows (i.e. penguin-flavor) alternative
operating systems for client PC's.....

Scott B. DeVries
DrFizzix at mash4077.biz

i'm not going to respond to your entire email bit by bit, as you were
bringing up SUPER-power user and server scenarios) and isn't that what
longhorn is supposed to be for?  normal usage?  or is longhorn their
server and workstation AND home solution?

Dont know.. Given that I've never heard about other projects by MS,
this makes me believe that longhorn will be their server , workstation
and home solution... But I wonder... why have a server running longhorn
if you need a super computer just to run the OS ? it should be a
supercomputer to run the server.. and the OS should work on any cheap
machine...

If it really is their home solution , then the conspiracy theories kick
in... Maybe m$ and intel are trying to make us spend money ??? Maybe M$
and nvidia or ati??? ;)

I believe that this will be a eternal problem with windows..
considering the way it was developed , it will always grow bigger and
power-hungry... no matter what they do , unless they rewrite windows
from scratch...