setup mail server

bryan at redfedora.co.uk bryan at redfedora.co.uk
Wed May 5 19:06:39 UTC 2004

> Hi, this is the first time I'm dealing with setting up email server, I
> have no clue about how to start. Anyone please show me how to setup a
> mail server on FC, or give me links that can help.
> Thanks
>
> Nina

Hi Nina

I've done this several times over for work - what sort of setup were you
looking for? For example mine polls a remote mailbox drags all the mail back
then redistributes it and has some forwarding rules to send it back out to
the reps on the road and so on. So it's a fetchmail, sendmail and procmail
setup and all works quite nicely pretty much out of the box. I documented
all my work so if you want a look at some notes feel free to ask. I was in
the same position as you four years back and it does look daunting at first
however all the steps are logical ones.

The steps I took were buying the sendmail (bat) book and reading how the
heck it worked! Fetchmail and procmail are a doddle to do in comparison. The
sendmail website does have good information as does the usenet newsgroup.
The newsgroup is also pretty amicable.

There's also some good information in the RedHat source SRPM's for sendmail
and I thorougly recommend installing that and having a read too. Some
changes in the later versions have caught people out with the way it works.

You'll certainly not regret the effort you plough into it I guarantee you
that. The M$ one drove me 'round the bend hence the change to a linux
solution. Does exactly what it say's on the tin! and hasn't let me down.

Bryan