GRUB blues

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Thu May 6 01:58:51 UTC 2004

Hi,

I tried installing GRUB on a machine today, and even though I insisted
it should boot from the first partition (/boot on /dev/hda1), it stopped
all the times right after boot with its own shell prompt. Typing 'root'
showed me it was believing "hd0,2" (3rd partition) was the root
partition -- hell knows why it thought that (faulty BIOS maybe?).

The bottom line is that machine is only bootable through GRUB shell
with:

root (hd0,0)
configfile /grub/grub.conf

Anyone knows how to fix this? I tried all its commands I thought I could
help (setup, install), with all possible parameters, to no avail.

TIA

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa