Bittorrent Client ??

John Nichel john at kegworks.com
Fri May 7 15:59:25 UTC 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:
> All this talk about BT has me hungering to make it work here.
> Unforch, this machine is behind another machine running iptables
> bolted down solidly, as in I could give you my ip address as seen
> from the network side, and the only thing you'd find there is a
> closed identd port, everything else doesn't respond.  iptables is
> doing NAT, MASQUERADING and a  couple more things I've probably
> forgotten.
>
> I have the white DSL modem verizon uses, which is on the LAN port of a
> linksys BEFSR41 router, regular port 1 of which feeds ethernet card
> eth0 in the fireall, and the firewall feeds this machine thru eth1.
> No other cable are plugged into the router at present, although I
> might have a cable to the workshop computer plugged in there
> eventually.  Schematicly it looks like this:
>
> DSL modem<->LAN port on router<->switch port 1 on router<->eth0 in
> firewall<->iptables<->eth1 in firewall<->eth0 on this machine
>
> I have opened a port range in iptables that BT uses (I think, here
> is that line from /etc/sysconfig/iptables on the firewall)
>
> [0:0] -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 6881:6889 -j ACCEPT
>
> How would I go about running BT under these conditions?

I have almost this same setup ('cept I don't have a hardware router...a
RH7.3 box acts as my firewall/router).  I had to not only put the route
in the iptables of the RH box, but had to login to the Westel (the white
modem I got from Verizon), and make a route in there too.

--
John C. Nichel
KegWorks.com
john at kegworks.com