Building RPM's/spec files from source

Daniel Stonier snorri_dj at operamail.com
Mon May 10 07:04:49 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Currently trying to put together a spec file for a package. I have it
mostly working, documents on the net are helpful with the specifics, but I
need some input on a few things, or pointers to where I might find some
info.

- Are there any general guidelines as per what to include when configuring
a package that has many options for ./configure? Just bundle the lot? For
this particular program it would be useful for it to be fully functional
so users dont have to configure anything, but there are aspects of it that
are still useful without having to have many dependencies met.

- Is there an easy way to determine what dependencies (ie BuildRequires:
and Requires: parameters) are needed to be met?

- Any other caveats I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Daniel Stonier.