How stable is fedora?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Mon May 10 19:51:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Tobias Weisserth wrote:

> The answer depends. The trouble with Fedora are the short release
> cycles. There is a legacy project but no experience exists with that.
> You can't implement a mission critical environment without prior
> knowledge how long this platform will be supported.
>
> Using Core 1 almost from the beginning, I have to witness it already has
> reached an end this month due to its bigger brother, Core 2. But I'd not
> be willing to risk a perfectly productive Core 1 environment just
> because I have to upgrade to Core 2 to get patches. That's one of the
> reasons why most backbone machines I run still use either SuSE or Red
> Hat. Replacing a client installation with Core 2 is not the problem
> though.

Just a note to say that that FC1 EOL is not end of this month - but
FC2-release-date + 2/3 months.

Also fedora-legacy does indicate the legacy-lifetime for FC1 as
approximately 1.5 years extra. (If I understand the FAQ correctly -
FC1 legacy support will be stopped when FC4 becomes EOL/legacy)

And the initial poster can stick with RHL7.3 for a while longer (if he
wishes to) with the fedora-legacy updates.

Satish