Apache oddity

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 10 21:58:48 UTC 2004

Ok, I thought I'd toss this one out there as I'm having trouble sorting
it out.

Configuration: FC1, 2.4.22-1.2188nptlsmp, 2GB, Apache 1.3.29/PHP 4.3.6
Weirdness: Everything is installed in /usr/local/test (including
libraries, configs, document roots, cgi-bin, the lot).  Apache runs fine
from there, serves pages and works perfectly.

When the contents of /usr/local/test are copied to an NFS volume which
is then mounted at /usr/local/test, apache runs but will not serve
pages.  Apache's error log shows:

(13)Permission denied: access to / failed because search permissions are
missing on a component of the path

Again, the EXACT CODE is used (via a "cp -a").  Ownership and
permissions are fine (trust me, I've checked).  Has anyone seen this
behaviour?  Care to clue me in?  Is Fedora doing something, uh,
"special" in its NFS handling?  Apache's message is misleading at best.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -