RHCE

leam leam at reuel.net
Tue May 11 09:59:46 UTC 2004

Christopher Chan wrote:

>> I have both Solaris and RHCE certs. I like them because I'm self
>> taught. The certs let me know I've gotten a fairly well rounded
>> education along the way. The RHCE challenges me each time I see
>> something I think I should know better and keeps me driven to maintain
>> my skills.
>

> Are you saying that you go for a new RHCE every time it is updated for
> the latest RH offering?

Sorry for the confusion, no. I'm well aware of my limitations and the
broad skills required of the RHCE are not in my day-to-day work. So I
need to continually practice and grow in areas that don't happen to be
the current focus. I also have a poor memory so if I don't do something
for a few months I completly forget how.

In my work, as far as I know, I'm the only RHCE. This gives me an edge,
but it also lets me "set the standard". And I like high standards so I
can promote linux.  :)

>> Also looks nice on the business card when you go job-searching.  :)
>

> That depends. My boss held my RHCE as of no account. So it really
> depends on how clued your potential employer is.

Yeah, it still stinks that many employer's aren't as smart as we are.  :)

However, it is a good selling point when you do happen along a clueful
employer; especially one who needs to build linux skills in-house.
Certification is not a single reference, but mixed with a good attitude
and some experience it will, I think, get you more offers than others.

At least it might help your resume get past the first cut; these days
one job announcement might get a couple hundred resumes. Bosses need
whatever tools they can to sort through them. Those four letters might
make the differece in getting you at least in the door.

ciao!

leam