OT: Licenses on Sparc servers (wuz: Fedora on SUN Ultra sparc10)

leam leam at reuel.net
Tue May 11 10:06:02 UTC 2004

T. Ribbrock wrote:

> Also, the CPU limit is now <2 CPUs. It used to be more (there *was* a time
> when the licence for Solaris 8 *was* free of cost for home users <= 2
> CPUs, but that's at least 2 years ago - and is the reason why I do have
> one U10 with Solaris), but these days, you even have to buy a license
> for a SparcStation 10, theoretically...
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Thomas

Darn good reason to go to NetBSD! If you take Dan Greer's (sp?)
suggestions about mixing up your environment you can get a great network
services platform on some low-cost but good servers level boxes and then
use Linux for desktop/major applications.

My favorite part is that on the many Sun boxes you can boot from either
disk, letting you have a hot backup of the server *in the server*. Makes
patching and upgrades less worrysome.  :)

ciao!

leam