Apparent incompatibility between SATA and smp kernel

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Wed May 12 00:03:41 UTC 2004

All,

I had FC1 working pretty well with the new motherboard (MSI
865PE-Neo2-PFIS2R), running purely Parallel ATA.  Got it all installed and
happy, and the hyperthreading on the 2.4.22-1.2188.nptlsmp kernel seemed
to be working just fine.  Then I plugged in my SATA drive, which works
fine under Win2K.  Now when I try booting with the smp kernel, the machine
locks up hard (have to hit the power switch) right after failing the
usb-storage insmod.

It fails the printer insmod, then the scsi insmod, then the usb-storage
insmod, then locks up tight.

The funny thing is that I can boot just fine under the uni-processor
kernel (though I have no idea how to get to the drive).

I hear that FC2 is supposed to have better support for SATA.  Is that
true?  I don't have so much configured yet in FC1 that it wouldn't break
my heart to reload FC2 in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Ben