Shell Monitoring Script

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 12 07:55:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 08:22:22PM +1200, Roland Venter wrote:

> I'm trying to put together a shell script to monitor several Linux servers,
> Redhat, SUSE and Fedora

What do you  want to monitor?
What do they want you to monitor?

> A quick google search reveals loads of utilities, etc. I'm constrained by
> the following:
>
> 1.  I do not 'own' some of the remote servers and only perform monthly
> server checks and compile a report with recommendations, etc
> So I can't install, make any changes to exiting configuration, compile code
> or modify core files without proper change control.

What is the scope of recommendations that you are chartered for?
It is easy to go down the road of diminishing returns.

These remote servers serve some bounded set of functions,
what are the functions and do they want you watching them.
That list will help you decide.

> 2.  Some of the remote servers are not visible from the outside, only
> incoming SSH, this rules out any client/server configuration or SNMP

That may be the good news, but what about SNMP to localhost.

When you ssh in what data can you export for processing and
what should be processed locally.

I assume that you want a read only non root access that lets you see lots
and not change critical things.   Do you have disk space limits for data?

> I've been running logwatch each night to send a consolidated log report.
> Presently I'm using cron to run a shell script do give a system overview of:

Where is tripwire or the equivalent in your list?

Sudo logs?

Eye candy.  Webalizer makes nifty charts that can be put in a report.
Do you need to generate nifty charts for things?  If so there is a
good foundation to build a tool in Webalizer.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l