Installing on software RAID5?

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Wed May 12 08:45:56 UTC 2004

Hi Robin,

> I plan to create RAID1 mirrors for /boot and swap and create all other
> partitions as RAID5 arrays.

RAID1 for swap? Iirc swap will do striping if you use multiple
partitions (on different disks?) with the same priority. So for swap you
don't even need to setup RAID0. You might want to use RAID0 for /tmp and
/var/tmp however.

> Is it possible to configure software RAID at install time with Core 2 or
> will I need to create the arrays before I install?

Not sure if the installer has improved in this respect since RHL 7.2,
but you could not set chunk size then. If not you might want to setup
your RAID partitions before doing the actual installation.

Leonard.