Auto shutdown

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed May 12 14:39:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 15:28, duncan brown wrote:

> >> If you have sugestions (links) related to grid implementation,
> >> please send to me.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/
and many, many more.

In Gridengine, for instance, you can have queues which are enabled
dependent on a calendar setting - so you could have 'night-only' queues.

> why not have specific cpus left on for the distributed computing, and have
> the others shut off via cron.
>
> OR, you could have a cron script check for the existance of a file (say,
> one created by your distributed computing environment), and if it's there,
> then don't power down.
I think (am I correct?) that Robin is referring to schemes where desktop
machines are network booted into Linux compute machines in off-hours.