Filesystem benchmarks

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Wed May 12 23:46:32 UTC 2004

Robin Laing wrote:
> I don't know how many people have seen this but it may be of interest or
> useful.
>
> Benchmarking Filesystems
> <http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html>
>
> This article covers ext2, ext3, JFS, REISERFS and XFS.
>
> I found it interesting.

I found it useless.

Test done on a vanilla 2.4.26

A far more interesting one can be found at
http://untroubled.org/benchmarking/2004-04/

which simulates real world conditions for mta boxes with recent kernels
and not with a kernel that is not going to receive much attention anymore.

Add to that that things have changed so much in 2.6 from 2.4 that fs
code is substantially different. eg: XFS in 2.4 is different from XFS in 2.6

Now Bruce Guenter's benchmark is a much more well thought out model of a
benchmark and performed on all options available.