Antivirus ?

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Thu May 13 12:05:14 UTC 2004

On May 12, 2004 at 18:26, Jay Daniels in a soothing rage wrote:

>On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 07:34:00PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
[...]
>> You get the mails from the remote POP3 server by using fetchmail, which
>> is then delivering to your local MTA? If you are POPping using a mail
>> client, how should then clamav interact?
>
>Fetchmail gets mail from remote server to your server.  You could then
>pop the scanned mail from that local server or use imap.
>
>I don't think a lot of people understood your question.  Really, it
>make's no sense.  I assume you have some Microsoft Windows boxes on
>the lan and you use pop3 clients to get the mail.  In this case you
>would have to rethink about how you get your mail and perhaps move to
>using fetchmail and then pop the mail from the local server.
Alexander's question does make sense. If he has MS Win boxes
on his lan, he needs to quarantine any viruses that may get
to these systems via e-mail. That is where clamav comes in.
I guess Alexander needs to know how e-mail is passed to clamav
for screening after fetchmail retrieves the mail from the isp.

>If you are using some type of Linux MUA which pops the mail directly
>from you ips's or organization's mail server, you really don't need no
>virus scanner but you do need to filter spam.  Filtering at the server
>would be better than downloading the mail and filtering with an MUA on
>each machine.
I would hazard a guess and say that hee does need to know whether
the e-mail he receives contain viruses. The fact that the Linux
boxes will not get infected is besides the point. If he forwards
infected mail to someone else, his reputation will take a nose
dive.

N.Emile...
The idea of male and female are universal constants.
		-- Kirk, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8
 07:58:30  up 53 days, 20:30,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00