My Linux partitions are lost.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu May 13 12:46:00 UTC 2004

Vikas.Bhasin at britishairways.com wrote:

>Please respond to For users of Fedora Core releases
><fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Sent by:        fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
>To:     For users of Fedora Core releases
>cc:
>bcc:
>Subject:        Re: My Linux partitions are lost.
>
>Hi Scott,
>
>Sorry for delayed reply, i was out of station.
>
>I booted in rescue mode and following is the output of 'fdisk -l
>/dev/hda';
>
>sh-2.05b# fdisk -l /dev/hda
>omitting empty partition (5)
>
>Disk /dev/hda : 40.0GB, 40007761920 bytes
>255 heads, 63 sectors/tracks, 4864 cylinders
>Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>       Device   Boot    Start     End   Blocks          Id      System
>/dev/hda1       *              1       1216      9767488+       7
>HPFS/NTFS
>/dev/hda2               1217    4864    29302560        f       Win95
>Ext'd (LBA)
>/dev/hda3               2433    4864    19535008+       7       HPFS/NTFS
>/dev/hda5               1217    1229    104359+ 83      Linux
>/dev/hda6               1230    2302    8618841 83      Linux
>/dev/hda7               2303    2432    1044193+        82      Linux swap
>sh-2.05b#
>
>There are linux partitions but i'm not sure why the start and end of
>blocks are overlapping for different partitions. Looking at above output,
>do you think previous linux installation can be saved.

These are not overlapping.  The partition numbers are out of sequence
for physical placement is the only oddity I see.  hda4 is usually
reserved for the extended partition label and yours uses hda2.  The
extended partition will include all the cylinders that are in the later
partitons. hda3 is also usually a primary partiton, but I have seen this
in the past so not really of concern