Hardware reccomondation - SCSI

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu May 13 22:49:05 UTC 2004

Currently my box is an A7N8X Deluxe board, with an older Adaptec 2940U
SCSI card, which is a little bit slower than I would like.

IDE0 = FC2T3
IDE1 = Win XP
IDE2 = cdrw
IDE3 = dvdrom
SCSI0 = FC1

I've been swapping out the Win XP partition with another drive for
purpose of installing/testing other distributions.

What I would like to do is replace my adaptec SCSI card with a better
(faster) card that is well supported by Linux - and attach 4 fast/big
SCSI hard disks.

turn IDE0 into a /boot and /home partition (it already has that, but
that's essentially all I want it to be - no installed distro, just a
huge honkin' /home with a small /boot for grub)

on the four SCSI disks -

a swap on each, and the remaining space on each split in two for testing
various releases of various distro's, so that I can essentially have 8
installs at one time. My understanding of linux swap is that if the
installs on SCSI0 are told about the swap on 1,2,3 and they are given
equal priority, the swap manager will use them equally thus increasing
swap performance.

Anyway - I want recommendations on a good card with good Linux support
for fast (faster than U-SCSI) _external_ scsi hard drives. Some cards
I've looked at have good support for fast _internal_ scsi - but are only
U-SCSI on the external interface, which is essentially what I have now.

I figure someone on this list has already looked into this.

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/