single linux box on dsl?

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Fri May 14 00:29:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 03:03:38PM -0500, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004, Guy Fraser wrote:
>
> > Satish Balay wrote:
> > >
> > >One can also try:
> > >netstat -p |grep X11
> > >
> > >For me - it shows that X11 is using unix-sockets.
> > >
> > >Staish
> > >
> > I searched www.xfree86.org and found no solid evidence that their should not be a TCP port.
> >
> > I see both TCP and Unix ports :
> >
> > $ sudo netstat -lnp
> > Active Internet connections (only servers)
> > Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
> > tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      906/X
>
> <snip>
>
> As indicated a few times already in this thread - this is not the
> default behavior. I suspect one of the following;
>
> - modified gdm.conf
> - not using gdm to login
> - not using FC1
>
> Easy thing to do is (assuming you are logging into gdm) :
>
> -----------
>
> [asterix]: rpm -qV gdm
> [asterix]: ps auxww |grep X
> root      2618  0.6  3.0 79160 31012 ?       S    May12   7:53 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
>
> <notice the  '-nolisten tcp' option>
> -----------
> Satish

Using startx so I guess I'm not using gdm?

You mean I have to use runlevel 5 and start up graphical mode to close
this tcp port 6000?

This is what I want to do.  Close port 6000, not allow any remote x
client anywhere but still be able to use run level 3 and startx to
start X with no extra X11 open ports!

If I can't control which ports X opens using startx, then I am
considering removing all X stuff and just using the console!

I thought maybe this port 6000 was actually the X11 or xfs font
server, if so can I setup X to use fonts locally from the filesystem
and not use xfs?

Pretty sure that X open on port 6000 is the default when running X
from run level 3 using startx.

jay