single linux box on dsl?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri May 14 00:36:06 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels said:

> Using startx so I guess I'm not using gdm?

Correct.

> You mean I have to use runlevel 5 and start up graphical mode to close
> this tcp port 6000?

No, you can do it with startx (see my other mail).

> This is what I want to do.  Close port 6000, not allow any remote x
> client anywhere but still be able to use run level 3 and startx to
> start X with no extra X11 open ports!
>
> If I can't control which ports X opens using startx, then I am
> considering removing all X stuff and just using the console!

That would be an option.  Another would be to just use ssh X forwarding
and you don't need X running locally anyway.  Or were you the one that
started the thread refering to a "single linux box" (not that you can't
get X servers for other OSes or anything).

> I thought maybe this port 6000 was actually the X11 or xfs font
> server, if so can I setup X to use fonts locally from the filesystem
> and not use xfs?

It can be done, but since xfs is configured to use a Unix socket (and not
TCP) it isn't contributing any open port.

> Pretty sure that X open on port 6000 is the default when running X
> from run level 3 using startx.

Yes.  Maybe a RFE is in order to sync the defaults with startx and the
defaults with gdm?

--
William Hooper