passwd demon failing?

David Harris dharris at macquarie.net.au
Fri May 14 01:48:03 UTC 2004

Thanks for the replies guys.

No, /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure give no clues. i did check them.
its very strange

I tried to boot into the virtual console and still same error. can't login.

also once at the single user prompt, i checked the ID, both 0. if i try to
su - a message comes straight back and says wrong password. if im already
root, why is it asking for a password anyway?